The following rules apply to all Branches of the University Jos Library:
Opening and closing
Use of Library materials
Behaviour in the Library
- Monday to Friday, 8:00am – 6:00pm
- Saturday, 8:00am - 4:00pm
2. In addition to members of the University Community, the following persons may be granted permission and admitted to the Library, but may not borrow books:
(a) Any persons over 18 years who are engaged in private study or research, if supported by appropriate evidence of academic standing and fitness for admission.
(b) Undergraduates of other Universities in Nigeria, if supported by appropriate recommendations. No card is issued to this category of users and they cannot loan out any library material.
3. Readers' Cards are not transferable (between readers).
4. All borrowable library books shall be presented at the Circulation Desk with appropriate borrower’s card at least fifteen minutes before the time of closing for the day.
5. Any borrower who fails to return a book in accordance with the Library rule of 14 - 28days provisions of Library rules shall be liable to a fine of fifty (50) Naira for each working day that elapses before the book is returned. Where a borrowed book is lost, the borrower shall duly communicate this to the University Librarian and the replacement cost paid.
6. Works of reference, Documents and Special Collections, Theses, may not be borrowed except by the special permission of the University Librarian or a person appointed by him/her, but may be consulted in any of the reading spaces of the Library.
7. The marking of any Library materials is forbidden.
8. All persons borrowing Library materials, for use within the Library, shall produce evidence of identity at the time of borrowing to do so if requested.
9. Use of University Library’s ICT facilities is governed by the Rules made by the Systems' Unit of the University Library.
Behaviour in the Library
11. Silence is the default mode in the Library.
12. Readers must present their University Identity Card for inspection if requested by a member of the Library staff or University Security Unit.
13. Remove personal items while leaving the Library.
14. Please treat Library materials, equipment, and furniture with care.
15. Charging of phones, Laptops and other mobile electronic devices in the Library is strictly at owner’s risks.
16. Do not shelf books yourself after use. Leave them on the tables to be shelved by the Library staff.
17. Do not take out any Library Materials without following proper borrowing procedures, failure to do so will attract disciplinary actions.
18. No user shall borrow a book without presenting a library card at the Circulation Desk.
19. The use of laptop computers and other mobile devices is permitted in the Library if they are quiet in operation. Users of such equipment may be required to work in specified areas or to stop using a computer if it constitutes a distraction to other readers.
20. The use of equipment likely to disturb or distract other readers or to damage Library materials (e.g. digital scanners, radios, cameras, personal hi-fi equipment, or computers to perform any of the functions of such machines) is not permitted in the Library. Mobile telephones must be set to ‘silent’ mode in the Library; the use of mobile telephones is only permitted in the courtyards of the Library. General photography and filming (e.g. of people or the building) is prohibited except with permission from Library Management.
21. Bags, cases, photocopying devices, and similar personal belongings are not allowed into the Library.
22. All materials brought into the library shall pass through the scanner at the library entrance. Laptops, mobile devices, bags, files, folders, and any other items allowed into the Library shall be subject to examination on exit.
23. Bottles of ink, correction fluid, and other potentially damaging substances shall not be taken into the Library shelves.
24. Hot and cold drinks whether covered in containers or open and water in bottles cannot be taken into the Library. No drink of any sort is allowed in the shelf area, Documents and Special Collections Section, Open and Quiet Spaces and Computer Laboratory.
25. Smoking is not permitted anywhere on the premises. This includes the use of e-cigarettes.
26. Library staff are empowered to stop any activity in the Library which they consider prejudicial to the safety, well-being, or security of readers or Library staff or to the preservation of the collections.